Sunday, April 22, 2012

It’s Really Not Funny…Or Is It?


Have you ever had an instance where you completely and totally saw God provide? Then, when you looked back at how you were in the midst of the waiting period, you can hardly contain the laughter as you observe the stress/worry that overtook you? Yes, I have been there plenty of times! I firmly believe that a promise made by God is a promise fulfilled by God, and I have innumerable instances in my life to support that statement. But here I am again, and I am in the waiting period. Right now…it’s just not funny. Right now, there is zero laughter. There is only the usual stress that makes its way to the depths of my shoulders and makes its home there as it continually pokes me with its knife-like fingers reminding me of its presence. This stress makes chocolate and Mountain Dew so much more appealing.
image
As I reflect on all of the many situations in my life in which God has provided, it is just CRAZINESS that I am here again…in this state of distrust. That’s really what it all boils down to. I am allowing my perception and thoughts to override what I KNOW God can and will do!
image
Oh, how I wish the recognition of the problem was the solution. I mean, I recognize a lot of imperfections in myself. I wish that my recognition of my worry made it disappear. I wish that my recognition of my impatience made it not a problem. I wish that recognition of my distrust made it go away. That would be great, wouldn’t it?!? Or would it?
image
You see, I’ve thought about this a lot. I tend to do that. As I have thought about this perplexing issue and conversed with God about it, asking Him why recognition was not the solution, I got a brilliant answer. That doesn’t leave room for His sanctification. That doesn’t leave room for the pruning process, for Him to chisel away imperfections/lies and replace them with His truth. That leaves room only for you to say that you did it. This whole “working it out” business is not easy. It’s actually quite difficult, because you kinda have to work at it as He works in you. But the working it out is what will allow you to look back and be filled with joy. I am being taught big lessons right now. That’s usually how it’s going with me. I’m continually learning that I have a lot more to learn! I want to trust Him so much that I laugh at the days to come as the woman depicted in Proverbs 31 does. My prayer is that He will clothe me with strength and dignity as He chisels away my worry and distrust. I desire to be that Proverbs 31 woman. I desire to not just say that I trust Him, but trust Him with relaxed and pain-free shoulders! It would make my heart smile if you would join me in that prayer. Pray that I will laugh at the days to come! Have a wonderful week, reader friends, and please let me know how I can be praying for you!
image
Shaped by Grace,
Jessica Calvery

2 comments: