Monday, June 24, 2013

The Hardys in Hardy

 

Before I begin to tell you about our trip, I must say that I have had an internal battle about whether or not last names made plural receive an apostrophe. I feel like it is wrong to put one there, because the name is neither possessive, nor is it a contraction. If you know the answer for a fact, feel free to correct me.

 

via

So, we went to Hardy, AR and stayed in a BEAUTIFUL cabin that a family friend let us reside in for our trip. Did I mention that it was beautiful? I think I wouldn’t mind living there.

We set out.

We arrived, and we saw historic downtown and all of the cute shops.

Then, there was this…

It makes perfect sense, doesn’t it? It made me laugh.

 

We went kayaking down the Spring River, next to the notorious railroad tracks of Hardy. I don’t think there is anywhere that campers and residents can escape the sounds of the train.

We started out in the river in our kayaks, and we noticed two things quickly. Number one: The water was COLD! Number two: There was lots of greenery (sorry, I’m not really sure was to technically term it) at the bottom of the river. Where the greenery was, there were also dragonflies. At first it was almost whimsical. Then, it started getting annoying, because they wouldn’t get off of us, and that greenery was everywhere!

 

via

There were two other things that we didn’t notice right off the bat, but very soon came to our attention. One: This is sort of a lazy river. There aren’t many rapids, and you do much paddling to get you to the takeout. My arms hurt. Two: The clouds were getting dark. Yes, we looked at the forecast, and we knew it predicted rain. The percentage was low, and the sky looked great when we started. We were told by the company that we rented from that the bad weather was supposed to pass us. I told Zach that I thought going in the morning was a better time, but he insisted on the afternoon. About an hour and a half into our supposed to be four hour journey, the clouds became very dark. I voiced my concern to Zach and said we need to get to paddling faster. He smiled, turned his kayak around to go down a fall once more, and said, “Maybe it will miss us”. About 30-45 minutes later, the rain began. Then, so did the lightning. I gave him an “I told you so” look, and we paddled faster. We made it to our destination an hour earlier than predicted sopping wet. He hugged me, laughed, and said, “See, I told you we were going to be alright”! He got another look. After we had changed into dry clothes we could laugh about our adventure. We even came up with an embellished story to tell the grandkids when we’re old and they’re so intrigued by our adventurous lives together. Ha ha I’m just kidding. It won’t need embellishing.

I hope you have had a wonderful Monday, reader friends!

Shaped  by Grace,

Jessica Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment