Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cancer

Cancer sucks. There is no other way to put it. It just does. I have seen awesome stories of remission and tragic stories of death. I have seen long struggles and short struggles. It is no respecter of person. Cancer does not care about age, color, or nationality. I’ve seen it in seven year olds in my former school all the way to people in their 80s. I’ve seen it take mothers, fathers, children, brothers, sisters, aunts, and uncles. I think what stinks the most is knowing that there is really no for sure cure. There are treatments that take a toll on the body only in hopes of curing it.

I hate Cancer!

via

The family got news recently that my grandmother has stage four stomach and liver cancer. She has chosen to not take treatment, and I don’t blame her. It would be selfish to ask her or even want her to take the treatment. For 17 years, she has been battling so many health issues. It was 17 years ago that a miracle came home from the hospital after roughly 5 months of intensive care and physical therapy to relearn the basics such as writing and walking. She is a fighter and made incredible progress. The only thing is that her coming home didn’t end all of the health issues. Although she has been able to function for the most part in the manner that most would consider “normal”, she has had constant battle after battle. They haven’t been painless battles, but she has been strong through it all. When I think of my grandma, I think of several things.

I think of…

30030036

30030033

love, support, and laughter. My grandparents have been some of my biggest cheerleaders. Aren’t they just precious? :)

Rook Card Game

Rook card games when we were young and thought we were bidding high. Ha

Root Beer Float Recipe | Simply Recipes

via

root beer floats…

Canning 101:  Simple Grape Jelly (my grandma used to make this, MUST DO!)

via

canned jelly, pickles, okra, cauliflower, on and on. My grandmama can can some delicious goodies. MmMmMmMmMmM

After a swim in the ocean in Singer Island, you will be ready for an afternoon nap! www.SingerIslandLifestyles.com

via

and naps! Why are naps so wonderful and inevitable at grandma’s? Maybe it’s because they get you so full as soon as you walk in the door.

The doctors gave the “you have this long” spiel, and they said 6 months. I’ve seen this be incorrect so many times. I don’t even know why they do it. I know it’s in attempt to prepare the patient and the family, but I don’t ever want to hear a limit on my life or a loved one’s life. I don’t really know what to think or really even how to pray. I don’t have any comforting words for myself or my family. What I do know though is this:

She is still here, and we have so many wonderful memories with her. We don’t have to mourn her before she is gone. We need to make the most of what we do have, and we have 17 years that only by the grace of God we have been given with her. God is still good.

Cancer Cannot....

via

Shaped by Grace,

Jessica Hardy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica, I was just reading through a few of your posts and had a quick question. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete